Saturday, January 22, 2011

Ubuntu 11.04 Test Run On Acer Aspire One 532H Netbook

Today, I downloaded the daily build of Ubuntu 11.04 and decided to take it on a test drive of an Acer Aspire One 532H Netbook.  The latest daily build of Ubuntu 11.04 has seen a dramatic improvement  in functionality when compared to the previous Alpha Release.

The main thing that I like is that the application side-bar dock now auto-hides!  This is a huge improvement over the previous version of the Unity desktop.

The desktop still seems to be a bit slow, but I think this may just because I was running the OS off of a USB thumb drive.  It is also very buggy, in that you are quite sure if the menus or applications are going to come up when when you click on them.  But that is expected in a daily build.

The other change I noted was that Open Office has been replaced, and the main browser is a beta version of Firefox 4, which came up with an annoying "Test Pilot Study" pop-up.  Ugh.

4 comments:

Jake said...

A couple questions:

-has card reader functionality been added
-sometimes there are errors in with the battery, user chat list, and power button icons in the panel. They turn red indicating a failure. when it happens to the battery it prompts a "computer will hibernate soon" window. has this been fixed?


Baroquebloke

JAMcLynne said...

I have not tried the card reader lately, but doubt it is fixed since it is a closed source driver. If anyone else cares to comment?

As for the battery issue, try upgrading to the latest BIOS at the ACER site, that might fix it?

I have given up on Ubuntu 11.04 for now and strictly stick to Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS on my ACER netbook since it runs well there. I will check out Ubuntu 11.04 once again after it is released.

Anonymous said...

How did you get ubuntu loaded on your acer one? I can never get it to load. With a usb CD or a thumb drive. I always get an error message. Been trying for 3 months. Thanks

JAMcLynne said...

What kind of error message? Perhaps posting it over on the Ubuntu forums will help.