Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Google Chrome for Linux

I have been using Google Chrome for a couple of weeks on a Windows XP machine and have found it to be one of the better browsers that I have come across. I like it because it is simple, yet very functional. Chrome also seems to run faster than either Firefox, Safari, or Internet Explorer.

You can run Chrome on Ubuntu Linux, but it is still in development. The development version that I installed tonight on my Ubuntu laptop seems to be quite functional, and also very FAST. It loads Java applications and seems to render images very efficiently. I am starting to look forward to Google's new operating system to give it a try. But I doubt if I will ever leave Ubuntu!

It is easy to install Chrome for Linux if you are running Ubuntu. There are quite a few warnings and scary messages from Google about running their development version, and if you can get past those, go ahead and give it a try. Keep in mind that some features may or may not work.
In addition, there may be some security issues. Simply go to these web pages to install Google for your CPU type:

Dev channel (for 32-bit systems): google-chrome-unstable_current_i386.deb
Dev channel (for 64-bit systems): google-chrome-unstable_current_amd64.deb

No comments: