Sunday, December 28, 2014

Acer CB5-311-T9Y2 Chromebook with 4GB RAM

I went out on a limb and bought a new Acer Chromebook this Christmas.  It is the 4GB version that uses and Nvidia Tegra K1 chip as its CPU.  My other Acer is still humming along running Lubuntu, but its age is starting to show.  I have put that little laptop through the paces and it will find a new home being passed down to the kids.  I was a little nervous about straying away from Intel.  So far the battery life of this Chromebook is really good.  I have been getting about 13 hours with with general internet use and using the laptop to write documents, etc.  It machine makes zero noise since there is no fan and puts out very little heat.  It is also pretty damn fast.  A lot faster than my older Acer.

I have read that the Nvidia chip may not be compatible with all of the ChromeApps out there, but so far I have not run into that problem.  However, I am a very focused user so your mileage may vary.

No comments: